Capybaras are real!!!

Hello!

My first week was really good but exhausting.  The day I arrived in Itapira we went and taught a lesson and my head was spinning.  I have no idea how many people actually lived in the house we visited, but there were people and kids everywhere and all of them were speaking really fast Portuguese.

My companion is really nice.  She has been in the mission for almost eight months, and has been in Itapira for one transfer already so she knows the ropes.  I only understand about a third of what she says, but she is super patient and is really good at finding synonyms that I know.  I think she knows more English than she lets on, so I´ll have to try and catch her off guard and see if I can get her to speak English.  It´s her birthday today, and it is really hard to come up with a present or surprise when they are literally in the same room as you all day all the time.

My first full day Sister Barbosa stopped at the top of this hill and was looking out over the city.  She proudly told me that all this was our area, and pointed out the parts of the city that we weren´t allowed to go to since it was dangerous.  I was like, wow, this is just like the Lion King.  

Also, turns out capybaras are real because I saw about ten of them at this park thing.  I was losing my mind.

I don´t have a lot of pictures so far because Presidente saw my camera, and was like, you´re only allowed to use that on pday, don´t take it proselyting with you.  That rule is going to be broken, but tudo bem.

We go to an internet cafe thing to answer our emails, and I take pictures of them to refer back to during the week.

PESQUISADORS (Note from Sonja... I looked this word up and I think it means INVESTIGATORS)

Okay, I seriously never know what Sister Barbosa is going to say when I ask her about the people we are going to teach that day.

*Picks a name out of a hat*      John Doe
*Rolls dice*                               Is 69 years old
*Throws a dart*                         Has problems with the Law of Chastity 
*Spins a wheel*                        And is blind.

Seriously, that is not made up, this is one of our investigators.  

I have extended the invitation to be baptized two times this week.  I was a little nervous because I was unsure about extending it the first lesson, but it was fine.  The first one was a yes, and I was like, ``What?  Really?``  Not out loud, but in my head.  The other said that she felt the spirit, but that she wasn´t sure if she wanted to be baptized because her entire family is Catholic and it wouldn´t go over well.  She said she would talk to us about it more next time, and we will be visiting her again today, so we´ll have to see.

I had a really spiritual experience when I shared the first vision for the first time.  We were teaching some referrals, Mxxra and Jxxxxxson, and their recent convert friend was there with them.  I started saying it and had to pause for a second or two towards the end because the spirit was really strong and I couldn´t talk for a moment.  I could tell they were feeling it too, and I almost cried when they showed up at Sacrament meeting with their friend.  It was definitely a great missionary moment.  I really hope they continue to come.

Sxxxxxo is one of our investigators that I love teaching.  He has been investigating a lot of churches and really enjoys learning from us.  He can speak English fluently, so when I can´t express what I want to say in Portuguese I can do it in English.  He´s one of those people that sees the world and all of its problems as a dragon to fight.  I really like teaching him, but I worry that searching for truth has been such a big part of his life that he won´t want to consider that he has actually found it, if that makes any sense.

I was really discouraged on Saturday because we were approached by this homeless guy.  He wasn´t the creepy kind, but he was obviously not mentally well, and he just cried while he talked to us because he just needed someone to listen.  Then later we were teaching in a house that didn´t have any doors or glass or even screens on the windows, and all of their power came from an extension cord that was grounded in their neighbor's house.  I was just overwhelmed by how much I can´t help people.  It felt like our message wasn't enough, you know?  I had to step back and remember that it isn't my job to fix houses or help people who aren't mentally well.  My job is to preach the gospel, and remember that it can bring happiness to everyone, no matter their circumstances.  And to serve where I can.

Weird thought I had this week:  You know how the food we eat is used to build new proteins and stuff?  I wonder how much of me is going to be made of beans by the end of this mission.  Seriously, so much rice and beans. 

Oh, that reminded me, I tried chicken heart at Sunday dinner with one of the members, and it was actually pretty good.  The texture was weird, but it tasted fine.

I think that´s everything for this week, I will be given any letters and packages you guys send at zone conferences, as all of them need to be sent to the mission home.  

Love you guys!

Comments