One down, 17 more to go!

Hey!  

Glad you guys finally figured out my code!  It`s pretty obvious how I did it, I just memorized the entire wheel. . . Just kidding.  If I could do that I`d already have learned Portuguese.

I got caught in my first rainstorm last p-day!  We were out looking for Conference Candy and it just started pouring.  The drops were huge and before long the streets looked like rivers.  We could see beams of lightning every few minutes, and the thunder was incredible.  We ran from awning to awning, jumping over holes and stuff, to avoid most of it.  We ran into almost our entire district about halfway back, and they were about in the same shape.  Between all of us we had enough umbrellas and raincoats to make sure everyone got back relatively dry.   Listen to the Holy Ghost, people!  Sister R and I both had the prompting, we discovered later, to grab a coat or umbrella before going out, but both of us ignored it.  I can practically see the Holy Ghost rolling his eyes.  On the bright side, while we were candy shopping, we found this chocolate easter egg thing that one of our Irmãos told us was a traditional Easter treat.  I bought one for all of us to share during conference, so that was really fun.  We´ll have to ask Juli if that´s actually a tradition.  I really love my district, our group dynamic is amazing and I laugh so much every day.  They teased me a bit at first for being the oldie, but that´s okay.

My spirits are much higher this week, though my progress with the language feels too slow.  My splits went well the rest of the week, and I really like my companions this week.  I've tried the tactic of, upon hearing another American missionary speak really good Portuguese, to not be jealous but encouraged.  I mean, I understand pretty much everything they are saying, I just need to start saying it too.  It´s amazing that I have a 16 hour day every day and I still feel like I need more time.

We have new roommates for the last half of our time here at the MTC.  I miss our first roommates sooooo much.  One of the new sisters is very kind and patient.  She speaks very clearly and uses words that she is pretty sure we´ll know.  The other has the strangest accent, and I can´t understand a word she says.  She thinks it´s hilarious when we just look at her with a dead stare whenever she talks, it´s really annoying and a little discouraging.  Guess which roommate also has a call to Campinas?  That´s right. 

Also, shout-out to Grandma Taylor, the skirts she made me are awesome.  They're really comfy and I love having pockets.  I don´t understand why every piece of clothing isn't required to have at least one pocket.

We´re going proselyting again this Saturday, so all the prayers you can give would be appreciated.  It is literally a jungle out here.  Ahahaha.  Urban jungle I guess, though I have had some thrilling encounters with the wildlife.  Meaning the giant cockroach looking bugs, one lizard, and a couple butterflies.  There was a spider in our bathroom, but we decided to leave it alone as there are always a bunch of bugs that get in there.

Crazy thing I noticed this week!  At home we look to the southern half of the sky to see the sun and moon right?  Down here they are in the north half of the sky!  That probably shouldn't have surprised me, since I knew that I have jumped the equator, but it totally blew my mind!

CONFERENCE WAS AMAZING!

It was incredible to sustain a new prophet of the Lord.  I am so excited for the changes in the Home and Visiting Teaching Programs.  I have never really liked either of them, and I am so impressed by the new spirit in the ministering program.  it is going to change the world if we all strive to sincerely minister.  I was also impressed by the new responsibilities of the Young Women.  I have felt for a long time that the young women of the church are capable of so much, but are not given the opportunity to serve as much as we could.  I´m very excited!

I was so surprised by the locations of the new temples.  I was blown away by the announcement of a temple in Russia!  I just sat there, stunned, and thought of how excited the people I met in my Lithuania ward must be.

The world is changing.  The work is hastening.  I am so honored to be a  part of the gospel, and especially to be a minister of it, even if it is only for a short time.

I have a request, can you guys send me lyrics to the English hymns?  I did not anticipate how much I would miss them, because they are not exactly common here.  Also any funny or inspiring quotes you've read or heard, because some days I just need a laugh or a extra boost of encouragement.

Thank you so much for your emails, I love receiving them and reading them throughout the week.  I miss you guys lots, and I am excited to talk to you guys on Mothers Day next month.  I can blow you all away with my totally fluent Portuguese, I´m sure!

Love you! 

Comments