THINGS HEARD AROUND THE CTM.....

Hey Family!

It is always so fun to read your emails, I take pictures of them and read them throughout the week.  That´s awful that you were sick, that is never any fun.  If you´ve got Dad taking care of you, then you´re set though, so I´m sure you´ll be back on your feet in no time.  That´s so funny about Elissa´s phone, I´m laughing so hard at the image of you guys waking up to Fall Out Boy or MCR at six in the morning. 

Last Week

I can´t believe it is already my last week at the CTM.  It feels like I have been here for a year, and like I got here last week at the same time.  I am going to really miss my district.  They are all funny, spiritual, and amazing.  Luckily two of the sisters are also serving in Campinas, so I won´t have to really say goodbye to everyone.  I am going to miss my instructors as well, they are both so helpful, patient, and just funny.  Irmão Coehlo calls us his filhos, and is always so excited to teach us portuguese.  He says he misses the first weeks because we would ask how to say stuff like, my name is. . ., I am from. . ., what is the word for. . ., and so on.  Now, we´re asking when to use the subjunctive imperfect conjugations, and asking when to use por vs. para.  

The Language   *eee*  *eee*  *eee*

Nah, I am just joking.  My confidence in my Portuguese fluctuates pretty dramatically throughout the day, so I have no idea how I actually feel about being tossed into the mission field in a week.  Weve started having English fasts for a part of every day, and those help a lot.  It´s weird though, one minute I am bearing my testimony and teaching a lesson in passable Portuguese, and the next I´m making a bunch of Brazilian elders snort into their juice because I say something like, ´I have the opposite of hunger.` in a tone of confused frustration because I just don´t have the words I need.  To be fair, when you have a limited vocabulary, you have to get creative with whatever words you´ve got.  The word for full is ´cheio´, I found out.

Proselyting

We went proselyting again last Saturday, and I can confirm it was just as uncomfortable the second time.  I also had more fun this time.  We sat at a bus stop and talked to one guy for a while.  He had a guitar with him and played and sang to us, it was really fun.  We asked him if the missionaries could come visit with him and talk more, and he told us that he was actually homeless and living at a shelter.   I don´t feel bad about breaking the ´do not proselyte to the homeless people´rule they gave us for safety because he was the nicest person we talked to all day,  and two he didn't look homeless at all so I can claim ignorance.  He tried to hug us goodbye though and I had to stifle my laughter at the look of panic on Sister Rasmussen´s face when she realized that was what he was doing.  We made one other contact that day, a girl who looked about our age.  We didn't talk to her for long, but I think she liked us because she didn't even hesitate when we asked if missionaries could come teach her more.  It is strange to think that that short encounter could completely change her life if she wanted it to.


Personal Study

I read Our Search for Happiness this week, and it is a really cool book.  I have a new appreciation for both Elder Ballard, and for how simple the gospel really is.  It really boosted my enthusiasm to share what I know, and to not be shy, even if what I´m saying seems too incredible or just unpopular.  One guy that we talked to during proselyting wasn´t interested in our message, but he praised us for doing what we were doing, since most people our age are ´out partying and don´t care about Jesus´.  He was fun.

Memorable Quotes From the CTM


Elder Holt:  Alright guys, let´s read the Book of Mormon.
Me:  Nah.
Sister Rainey:  It´s not even that good, everyone just dies at the end.

----------------------

Elder Lee:  Girls don´t have towel fights, they have pillow fights.
Me:  Okay, look.  If I am having a pillow fight, I am not trying to be cute.  I am trying to brain you with my pillow.

----------------------

Me, as the district is looking out our classroom window at some newly arrived missionaries:  Aww, look.  You can still see the hope in their eyes.

----------------------

The best way to deal with stress is how babies do it.  Crying and sleeping.
And eating.
Babies don´t stress eat.
Maybe they do, you just don´t realize it is because they are stressed.
That´s actually a really good point.

----------------------

Elder Lee:  Why are they setting off fireworks at 8 in the morning on a Sunday?  
Me:  They´re trying to get everyone up so they´ll go to church.

----------------------


I love hearing from you guys, and can´t wait to email again.  Next week I´ll be in the field!  I'm good on snacks and stuff. If you can, send me my red skirt and an English hymnbook.  Also some people talked about missionaryties.com as a way to send letters and packages.

Love you!  

Comments