Cause of Death: Flip Flop

This week was a little crazy, because we went to Campinas for a record
number of four times.  The first two times were because we had our
splits this week, and we went to Campinas on Wednesday to swap
companions, and then again on Thursday to switch back.  Friday we had
zone conference, so we went again, and Sunday we had stake conference
so we went again.

TRAINING
My new companion is Sister Mareski, from Paraná.  She´s really
perceptive, and is good at planning, which is really nice.  I was
nervous about being a trainer, but after about a week I decided that I
just needed to relax, because I realized that I´m not going to be a
perfect trainer.  Sister Mareski is my teammate, I just have to show
her how stuff works in the mission and make sure she´s doing okay.
Also, I finally figured out how to use the training booklet and that
was a relief.  If you can laugh together, and feel comfortable
stealing food from each other, then it´s all good.

SPLITS
Splits are always fun, but it was a little strange to be hosting it
this time.  Normally we both go to the area of our ST´s and stay the
night there, but President Marsh wants us to start doing it so one
companionship stays in each area.  So, I had a split with Sister
Messias.  It was super funny because all day, all the people who had
already met Sister Mareski got super confused to see Sister Messias
instead.  I introduced her to snickerdoodles, so that was fun.
Cookies are a novelty here, which I find incredibly amusing because
they´re really not hard to make, so I like making them with my
companions.

ZONE AND STAKE CONFERENCE
I love zone conferences because I always feel like I've been
spiritually caffeinated and ready to take on anything.  We talked a
lot about how the Lord is sending angels to prepare people to hear us,
and that we have all the authority that we can be given through our
obedience to accomplish this work.  It was a confidence booster.

Stake conference was a great experience too.  There was a great talk
about Helaman's stripling warriors, and how it was because of their
faith and exact obedience that they were valiant, and had the power
they needed to win their battles.  I think it would be something
pretty amazing to be valiant.  Also, President Marsh gave a talk, and
had all the missionaries in the stake stand while he bragged us up.  I
was like, ´Yeah,we´re a pretty big deal.´  But seriously, it felt
pretty good, and made me even more motivated to work even harder.

Cause of Death: Flip Flop
So, once upon a time in Relief Society, a couple weeks ago, we had an
awesome lesson about service.  One of the members of the stake
presidency was there, and he helped us establish some goals.  One of
the goals that was established during this meeting was that we need to
be more willing to let people serve us, which includes letting the
sister missionaries wash the dishes after lunch.  This was met with a
great deal of contention, and was not completely embraced by all of
the irma´s present.  Flash forward a couple weeks to the house of Irma
Genilce, an amazing woman who I love very much.  Lunch out on her
patio had ended, and I made my way to the sink to wash the dishes,
more than a little fear in my heart because I know how Irma Genilce
feels about such things.  She began to protest the second I left my
seat to take my dishes to the sink, but I jokingly tried to shrug off
her protests.  The next thing I knew, her flip flop was off and
swinging as she chased me away from her sink.  I have never run faster
in my life as I sprinted down her driveway shrieking in Portuguese,
"THE STAKE PRESIDENCY SAID WE GET TO DO THE DISHES!" Long story
short, I almost got killed by a flip flop and I did not get to do any
dishes that day.

WELL I´M NOT NOW
Other funny thing that happened.  We were out looking for people we
found in our Area Book, and at one house, the spouse of the man we
were looking for was the one who opened the window to talk to us.  We
asked, half shouting because she was a ways away, if her husband was
home and if we could talk to him.  She called back that she would
check, and vanished.  She reappeared a minute or two later and
shouted, ``HE´S SLEEPING RIGHT NOW, COME BACK LATER!´´  We were dying, because if he actually was asleep, he wouldn't be after that.

The Work
The work has been really slow here, which is discouraging at times.
We've decided to give up on using our Area Book for the time being and
just try to make a million contacts and find new people.  It´s kinda
sad when we talk to the people on the street, they seem genuinely
interested, and when we go to their house we find out the address they
gave doesn't exist.  But, after our Zone Conference and Stake
Conference, I´m feeling really optimistic and ready to work, so I
think things will start turning around.

That´s all for this week, I love you guys and hope you have a good week!


1 Irma Rosi has a scruffy old cat named Doofus and he makes my day every time I see him
2 Sister Willard and I during transferencia
3 We went out for açai, of course
4 We walked for hours in the outskirts of town one day, and our feet had lines that were half from the sun and half from the dirt.
5 Sister Messias and I during our divisão





Comments